Dr. Lio Moscardini
I am a teacher educator, education consultant and researcher. My specialist areas include inclusive practice and inclusive pedagogy, additional support needs and children’s mathematics.
I am currently working with various schools and Local Authorities in supporting teachers’ learning of children’s mathematical thinking and how to connect this with practice through Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI). CGI is a professional development programme for teachers based on over 30 years of research. I am the only person in the UK to have studied CGI with members of the original research team at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
I also lecture on Inclusive Education at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and I am working with music services in various Local Authorities in Scotland on developing inclusive and equitable approaches to music education. I am currently involved in researching music education in Scotland.
Lio has a deep understanding of the Cognitively Guided Instruction math classroom as well as Cognitively Guided Instruction teacher professional development. I am always impressed when he shares what is happening in CGI primary school classrooms throughout Scotland. His work began by taking what he had done in the USA and applying it to teachers and classrooms in Scotland but now his CGI work in Scotland informs the CGI work that we do throughout the world. I am especially impressed by Lio’s dedication of including all learners in the problem solving process. His work shows that all students can learn math with understanding.
Dr Linda Levi
Director CGI Math Teacher Learning Center and CGI Author.
Professional Affiliations & Responsibilities
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Specialist member of the First Tier Health and Education (Additional Support Needs) Tribunals
- Member of the Advisory Group of the Music Education Partnership Group
- Chair of Board of Directors of Paragon Music
- Member of Scottish Universities Inclusion Group
- External Examiner for the MEd in Inclusive Education at The University of the West of Scotland
- GTCS Registration
- PVG Scheme Member
- PhD (numeracy with children with learning difficulties) University of Strathclyde
- MSc. in Support for Learning (expressive language, children with learning difficulties) University of Strathclyde
- MA (Hons) University of Glasgow
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management in Education University of Strathclyde
- PGCE (Primary) University of Strathclyde
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Orchestral StudiesGoldsmith’s College, University of London
- Postgraduate Certificate in Music Education Trinity College, London
Lio Moscardini possesses an acute understanding of the young mind and its capacity to absorb and learn. His wide-ranging experience of many different disciplines allows him to bring a broad perspective to educational research. His work on numeracy and inclusion both in research and delivery of ground-breaking new initiatives leads the field. His work for the Music Education Partnership Group fulfilling the case studies for the What’s Going On Now report brought astonishing results. I turn to him whenever I need advice on current thinking and will be knocking at his door for further related research.John Wallace